[mythtv-users] 2010 Mac mini: no go! (Nvidia MCP89 SATA issues)

TJ Harris tjharris at weaselworkz.com
Sat Jul 3 00:49:28 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 10:34 PM, scram69 <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Scott D. Davilla <davilla at 4pi.com> wrote:
>>>  > For those of us OSX'ers who may be looking at some new hardware soon,

>>> Apple added an API in Mac OS X 10.6.3 to make it possible, and folks
>>> are aware of it, but nobody has yet committed to doing the work. As
>>> Scott alluded to, xbmc trunk has recently added support for it. No
>>> clue what's involved in adding it to MythTV.

>>> Both. (Also appears to work on the 9600M GT in my MacBook Pro, unless
>>> the 9400M is silently kicking in w/o my knowledge).
>>
>> It's a dead simple API, detect h.264, if in byte-stream format (ffmpeg
>> extradata stuff), convert to avcC and pump it in. picture frames come out as
>> 2vuy. See
>> http://trac.xbmc.org/browser/trunk/xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Video/DVDVideoCodecVDA.cpp
>>
>> The only real issue is you will need to link to
>> VideoDecodeAcceleration.framework unless MythTV supports dynamic loading.
>
> OK.  Appreciate the clarification.  Thanks-

Of course, this doesn't help the users in the U.S. with ATSC / MPEG-2
content, it's only H.264.
My NvMini uses over 100% of one core to do 1080i MPEG2.   It's a shame
Apple didn't expose more of the GPU acceleration capabilities.  A high
percentage of web content will be h.264, but we're stuck with MPEG-2
broadcast content.