[mythtv-users] viewing problems with long shows on PS3

greg at nodecam.com greg at nodecam.com
Mon Jul 5 15:12:05 UTC 2010

Andre wrote:

> I'm going to fire up the PS3 and check this out, apart from checking each
> new PS3 fw release if they have made the player more robust, they haven't!
> I haven't used it in anger for playback since the winter, maybe something
> has snuck in to recent releases of MythTV or the PS3 that limits large
> file playback!

I've had the same 4GB problem with Myth recordings forever, keeping up to
date with PS3 FW releases.  That's just streaming from Myth's uPNP server
though.  I don't use it much, but some 1080 H.264 recordings are too much
for my regular frontend to play back before transcoding, so I occasionally
fire it up if I want to watch something right away.

I don't know how you have MediaTomb set up, but it very well might work
around the PS3's 4GB limit in some way.  I'm pretty sure it can be set up
to do transcoding on the fly for PS3, but I haven't played with it enough
to know much beyond that.

Greg