[mythtv-users] recording ziggo digital tv (Netherlands)

Bert Haverkamp bert at bertenselena.net
Mon Jul 5 18:10:04 UTC 2010

Hello Chris,

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Chris Rouch <chris.rouch at gmail.com> wrote:

> I currently have analog cable, but I'd like to change to digital. My
> cable company (ziggo) uses CI+ - a slot for this is built into my TV.
> Previously they used CI, and it was possible to buy PC cards which
> could decode this and thus could be used by mythtv. It's not clear to
> me if these cards still work or if they are now blocked. Using
> satellite instead is not an option in my apartment, unfortunately.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> Is anyone using mythtv to record ziggo digital; if so, what hardware
> do you use, and do you expect it to keep working in the future?
>
> is it possible to take a decoded signal out of a decoder box and use
> that for mythtv? will the quality in this case be any better than the
> broadcast analog signal?
>
> I'm currently still a happy user of ziggo digital. Even HD is working
properly.
My understanding is that with the CI+ interface ziggo is able to control
which box/card is allowed to decode the signal.
But with CI, they do not have that control. So TVs with the alphacrypt and
PC cards with such a decoder card function normally and can not be blocked
by ziggo.

Regards,

Bert