[mythtv-users] What controls the volume level in a recording?

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Mon Jul 5 20:48:30 UTC 2010

Greg wrote:
> On 07/05/2010 12:24 PM, Don Brett wrote:
>> Justin Johnson wrote:

>> You're probably right.
>>>
>>> If you're using ALSA it should be possible to install a compressor
>>> plugin to "normalize" the audio. Note that this isn't true
>>> normalization, it simply makes all audio the about the same volume. I
>>> haven't set this up myself, maybe somebody else on here has, but I
>>> might look into it sometime in the near future as it seems like every
>>> recording is the opposite volume of the last.
>>>
>>> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Ladspa_(plugin)
>>>
>>> --Justin Johnson
>>>

>> Good idea, but I was thinking about something like the control
>> console in that other OS.  Double-click on the speaker, then Options
>> > Properties > Recordings, then set the levels.  Is there something
>> like that in Fedora?
>>
>> By the way, my sound works but the gnome-volume-control panel doesn't
>> startup on this box.  I get a "Waiting for sound system to respond"
>> message.  I don't have a way to look at the sound setting, other than
>> through alsamixer.

> I haven't been following this thread  closely,but if you are running
> Ubuntu, I  goto System,then keyboard shortcuts then map the volume
> control to my keyboard..Then when that works you can map it to your
> remote...
> If you un-installed pulseaudio the sound app,won't work,that's the
> reason it just sits there..It's all tied to pusleaudio..

I'm using Mythdora-12, but I read about the pulseaudio solution with
Ubutu.  It looks like pulseaudio is a required component in this distro,
so I'm a little hesitant to uninstall it.  I did try the "delete the
.pulse folder" trick, but it didn't make any difference.

I don't really have a problem with playback volume, this thread is more
about recording volume.  For a given volume setting on the TV, some
recordings are louder than others, so I'm wondering what determines the
recorded volume level.  It may just be the line-in setting,
but....that's just a guess.

Don