[mythtv-users] How to kill mythbackend?

Clay ctmythtv at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 6 08:09:48 UTC 2010

Freshly jacked up install of 10.04 and JYA's repos. New (old) box to
replace the existing master backend and consolidate all my tuner cards.
Migrated DB, dropped, de-corrupted, and migrated again, successfully.
Deleted all capture cards and added them again but the cards aren't
happy yet. Can't get anything on the 150's, A180, or ATSC115.

I've had the same master backend since 0.19 but several slave backends
and frontends over the years.
All the slaves (and the original master, iirc) gave me grief because I
install myth as a user other than mythtv.
My "fix" has always been running the backend as the user instead of the
default mythtv user.
When I was feeling extra ambitious, I'd track down whatever line in the
init script that started it as mythtv and change it to the user.
Usually I'd be lazy and kill mythbackend then run mythbackend in a
terminal and the box was happy.
I know it ain't right, but it worked for me, up 'til now...

0.23 brings another wonderful 'Windows' feature to MythTV that keeps the
backend alive if it's killed or dies.

How do I work around this so I can kill it running as mythtv and run it
as my user?