[mythtv-users] mythbuntu?

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 14:04:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Douglas Peale
> <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
>> On 07/02/2010 02:53 PM, Richard Morton wrote:
>>> That's strange, mythbuntu has never done that to me. Mythbuntu
>>> installs XFCE desktop but this should only change the default desktop
>>> env on next login, it shouldnt stop you getting into a desktop.
>>>
>>> try from your command prompt; to see if x starts and you get a desktop/login
>>> startx
>>>
>>  In 9.10, I had both the mythbuntu-desktop and the ubuntu-desktop installed. There was a selection on the login screen that
>> allowed me to choose which to use. When I upgraded to 10.04, there was a conflict between ubuntu-desktop and mythbuntu-desktop,
>> I had to uninstal one of them before I could upgrade. It is likely that installing mythbuntu has uninstalled the ubuntu-desktop.
>> If someone could give him command line instructions on how to re-install the ubuntu-desktop, that will probably uninstall the
>> mythbuntu-desktop, and get him back to where he was.
>
> possibly the OP has installed the mythbuntu-desktop and the menu bar
> is off the top of the screen due to overscan?
>
> Does ctrl-esc bring up a menu?

You don't need a window manager to access the package management
system - I prefer to use Aptitude and many prefer to use apt-get.

run aptitude and then hit "/" and enter 'ubuntu-desktop' - when that
package is highligted you can press "+" and it should turn green which
means it's marked for install. My system indicates that I have
ubuntu-deskop, ubuntu-minimal and ubuntu-standard all installed. This
is ONLY because I also use this system as a desktop machine. (a
decision I'm backing away from soon)

Press "G" twice and it should start installing these packages.

Learning how to manage packages (and other tasks) without making it
into Xwindows is a good use of your time.

Also when you've installed or removed something and would like to
review what you did later it's logged at /var/log/apt and
/var/log/aptitude

-Johnny