[mythtv-users] How to kill mythbackend?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Jul 6 15:38:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 10:06:39AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>  On 07/06/2010 04:09 AM, Clay wrote:
[deletia]
> >Usually I'd be lazy and kill mythbackend then run mythbackend in a
> >terminal and the box was happy.
> >I know it ain't right, but it worked for me, up 'til now...
> >
> >0.23 brings another wonderful 'Windows' feature to MythTV that
> >keeps the backend alive if it's killed or dies.
>
> That's upstart, which *buntu has chosen to replace sysvinit.
>
> >How do I work around this so I can kill it running as mythtv and
> >run it as my user?
>
> I'll leave it to someone who knows upstart to answer your question:
> "How do I get upstart to start MythTV as a different user?"

   Did you try shutting down the backend propertly the SysV way first?

   Upstart might have been coded with backwards compatability in mind.
If you're not shutting down the daemon the way it's supposed to be shut
down then I could understand how any "keep alive" mechanism might get the
wrong idea.