[mythtv-users] How to kill mythbackend?

Clay ctmythtv at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 6 16:37:50 UTC 2010

jedi wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 10:06:39AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>  On 07/06/2010 04:09 AM, Clay wrote:
> [deletia]
>> >Usually I'd be lazy and kill mythbackend then run mythbackend in a
>> >terminal and the box was happy.
>> >I know it ain't right, but it worked for me, up 'til now...
>> >
>> >0.23 brings another wonderful 'Windows' feature to MythTV that
>> >keeps the backend alive if it's killed or dies.
>>
>> That's upstart, which *buntu has chosen to replace sysvinit.
>>
>> >How do I work around this so I can kill it running as mythtv and
>> >run it as my user?
>>
>> I'll leave it to someone who knows upstart to answer your question:
>> "How do I get upstart to start MythTV as a different user?"
>
>    Did you try shutting down the backend propertly the SysV way first?

$ sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop

yup.

>    Upstart might have been coded with backwards compatability in mind.

It is.
Whenever I use the SysV way on 10.04 (before I broke bash) upstart
responds with something like:
"that's the old way of stopping things, we'll do it for you this time
and here's the new command."
Like I have room in this feeble old brain for new commands...

> If you're not shutting down the daemon the way it's supposed to be shut
> down then I could understand how any "keep alive" mechanism might get the
> wrong idea.

It's just doing what it's programmed to do... protect clueless users
from themselves.
I recall seeing a new "stop the backend" command while paging through
mythtv-setup... kill mythbackend, or something.
iirc, I tried it and it didn't...