[mythtv-users] help needed speccing out small silent frontend.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jul 7 15:42:21 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, July 07, 2010 09:33:25 am Mike Perkins wrote:
> Ryan Duffy wrote:
> > To be honest, I reckon I can build a PC with a core-i3, 2GB RAM, wireless
> > N, fanless PSU and quiet HDD for around £300 (or with silent SSD for a
> > little more). Given that a Revo (with Atom230) costs £215 here in the UK
> > I'm inclined to spend the extra for the CPU boost unless I hear glowing
> > reports about how Revo is fast enough.
>
> Unless you live on the top of a hill somewhere, or out in the wilds of
> Lincolnshire, I wouldn't bank on using wireless to connect your front-end.
>
> There are so many wireless nodes about these days (thanks, BT!) that
> finding sufficient, reliable, consistent bandwidth is about on a par with
> winning something on the Lottery. Especially if you are considering using
> your box for HD.

I totally agree, especially for HD, depending on a WiFi connection is a large gamble. I know some have reported success,
but I wouldn't count on it continuing - a neighbor buying a new appliance is all it takes to render a "working" connection
unusable.

There have been varying reports here of success with some of the power line "solutions", but I think a good old CAT-5
copper path will pretty well guarantee success, and longevity.