[mythtv-users] GeForce GT220 PCI Express x16 for $30 shipped ($20 AR)

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jul 7 15:57:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 3:45 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> HI
>
> On 7 July 2010 14:49, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>> You're not going to get audio when using a dvi output. Period. There's
>> no audio pins on the dvi interface. You can feed video w/a dvi to hdmi
>
> Want to bet on that ? :)
>
> There's no audio pin on an hdmi connector either...
>
> The audio stream is embedded within the TMDS stream..
>
> I enjoy audio over my DVI port on my Ion box because I didn't have a
> hdmi-hdmi cable.
> The signal coming out of the DVI connector is identical to the one of
> the hdmi port.
>
> I'm suspecting this card to be the same.
>
> AMD/ATI card do it that way for the high-end 4xxxx series. They have
> two DVI connector, use an DVI-HDMI adapter, and enjoy audio.
>
> You could do: hdmi -> dvi -> hdmi on any platform and have audio too...

Hm. Interesting. I (obviously) had no idea. I've not witnessed a
system do this myself, but then, most of the systems I've hooked up
using dvi to hdmi simply have older video-only outputs, I would have
to assume. Learned something new today, thank you for the education
(all three of you who corrected me). :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com