[mythtv-users] Anyone archiving to Blu-Ray Disks?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jul 7 23:58:42 UTC 2010

I see BR burners are now under $200.

What I would like to do is archive Myth recordings to BR disks, in a way that they can be played by consumer BR players.

I know BR players can generally play DVDs, but I wonder if they could play a DVD .iso files or VIDEO_TS directories.

You could archive a lot of SD material to a BR disk, if there is some way it would work.

I assume that if I just write video files to a BR, they could be played back with a computer, but my question is about
playing them on consumer BR players. This sort of compatibility took a long time to get straightened out with DVDs (and
it's still not perfect).

Any other pointers on how to put a BR burner to use with a Myth system would be appreciated.

I'm not looking to play back commercial BR disks, just archive my recordings, and be able to play them back, or at least
recover them.