[mythtv-users] Anyone archiving to Blu-Ray Disks?

Adam Stylinski kungfujesus06 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 13:15:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 9:07 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, July 07, 2010 10:28:38 pm Nick Rout wrote:

> > I assume you are talking about the cost of the media, which I grant is
> very high right now.
> >
> > But, I recall paying over $4 for a single blank CD-R, which I could burn
> at a blazing 1X. My drive could burn at 2X, but
> > media that would allow that cost even more. Today I can buy 50 blanks for
> that same $4, and they can be burned at 52X.
> >

> After posting I saw a couple of $3 BD-R disks on newegg. They have a
> caution about what drives support them but this may reduce the cost.
>
> Actually your goal for a playable BD from several mythtv recordings
> would be something I am interested in anyways..
>
> John

I don't quite understand why this should be an issue.  BD-Rs just use UDF,
do they not?  He's asking if you can archive onto Blurays with mytharchive,
which shouldn't be an issue (albeit you can only play it on another mythtv
system).  If you're just recording the data+metadata to the BD-R, then
what's the problem?