[mythtv-users] Anyone archiving to Blu-Ray Disks?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Jul 8 13:49:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> USB drive cases are relatively cheap, but performance stinks,

I'm going to disagree with this one.  I bought an external 2TB USB 2.0
drive a couple of months ago and moved my rips that I have with
mythvideo over to the external drive and I haven't had any performance
problems at all.  Even the full bit rate blu ray rips play flawlessly.
 Sure, esata would have been faster, but USB 2.0 is plenty fast enough
for playback of HD material.

> and most of them need a wall wart, take up space, generate
> heat and are a PIA in general.

It does need a wall wart, but the drive automatically spins down when
not in use (which is most of the time, since recordings don't go
there) so heat/power is minimal.  It's been painless.

Eric