[mythtv-users] Anyone archiving to Blu-Ray Disks?

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Thu Jul 8 14:07:56 UTC 2010

Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> USB drive cases are relatively cheap, but performance stinks,
>
> I'm going to disagree with this one.  I bought an external 2TB USB 2.0
> drive a couple of months ago and moved my rips that I have with
> mythvideo over to the external drive and I haven't had any performance
> problems at all.  Even the full bit rate blu ray rips play flawlessly.
>  Sure, esata would have been faster, but USB 2.0 is plenty fast enough
> for playback of HD material.
Of course, what's max-rate of BR ? 40Mb/s, that would be 5MB/s where
this morning I did a backup of a partition, reading lots of small files,
which hurts the speed, but nevertheless got 35MB/s via USB2.0

>> and most of them need a wall wart, take up space, generate
>> heat and are a PIA in general.
>
> It does need a wall wart, but the drive automatically spins down when
> not in use (which is most of the time, since recordings don't go
> there) so heat/power is minimal.  It's been painless.
And even if it would, it would reduce heating cost in winter-time ;-)
In summer one should be playing at the beach ;-) Not playing with computers.