[mythtv-users] can remote frontend(s) wake the backend when needed?

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 14:17:48 UTC 2010

On 7 July 2010 17:38, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> I've been going through the docs for making the backend shutdown and
> wake by alarm based on next recording time, etc.  All pretty
> straightforward enough.  I have even gotten the backend to WOL
> successfully (using the magic packet and the wakeonlan command).
>
> But if I have remote frontends, they of course will notice when the
> backend goes away and pop up the familiar "backend gone" dialog.  That
> is all fine.
>
> I wonder however, is there a way to configure a remote frontend to
> (execute a script to) send a "WOL" to the backend when somebody wants to
> use the FE?

Yes. You need to install the wol command (or equivalent) and then run
setup from the front end. The options are on page 2 of general setup.
This will update ~mythtv/mysql.txt on the frontend. On my system this
wakes up the backend but then tries to connect to the database before
everything is running, but selecting OK on the pop-up dialog is enough
to work around this.

Regards,

Chris