[mythtv-users] Anyone archiving to Blu-Ray Disks?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jul 8 14:42:57 UTC 2010

On Thursday, July 08, 2010 08:28:46 am jedi wrote:

>    Consider that a disk might not need to look like a consumer BD title in
> order to be playable on a BR player.
>
>    Just a thought...

Since a commercial BR player can also play DVDs, I wondered if it could play a DVD file or directory from a BR disk, thus
letting you have multiple DVD resolution files on a single disk.

We are talking about both "archiving", and perhaps "interchange", which might get into legal issues I don't want to go
into.

To take a simple (and probably legal) case, let's say I have a couple of dozen non-commercial (non-CSS) DVDs of my home
movies, could I put several of them onto a BR disk which my grandmother could play on her consumer BR player?

I'm not trying to "author" a BR title, I know that's futile under Linux now, but simply play DVD files with a BR player.

That would be optimum, but using the BR disks to archive files to get them off my hard drives would be a secondary issue.

I guess I need to buy a burner and a BR player and start to play.

Of course, I also wonder if different BR players might have differing capabilities, more or less like some DVD players today
can play DivX files, and some can't.

I'd imagine that any BR player could play a DVD disk, the question is, can they play DVD *files*?