[mythtv-users] Anyone archiving to Blu-Ray Disks?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Thu Jul 8 15:22:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> One problem with remote backup, and this applies to any "cloud" or other
> internet-based option, is that most residential
> internet services have outbound rates measured in bits per fortnight. You
> have to go to a business type account to get
> anything even close to 1Mbps. outbound, and that is dog slow by today's
> standards.

True. In my case, I have 3Mbps up, so it's close to reasonable with only
diffs going out. I seeded the server before moving it over there. And I can
make a wifi link work in this case as well, if I need to.

There are in fact tons of "media players" available now, some for well under
> $100. I think some BR players can also play
> back from USB storage. Netflix streaming is starting to get more people
> aware of and interested in such devices, but you
> have to be careful which one you buy. For example, many can't handle MKV
> files, or DTS audio.

All too true. I really wish the people making those boxes would get better
format support. That's one reason I mentioned Popcorn, I know they can play
MKV and such. Not sure about decoding DTS, but IIRC they support
passthrough.