[mythtv-users] Anyone archiving to Blu-Ray Disks?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jul 8 15:39:00 UTC 2010

On Thursday, July 08, 2010 09:22:11 am Travis Tabbal wrote:

> > $100. I think some BR players can also play
> > back from USB storage. Netflix streaming is starting to get more people
> > aware of and interested in such devices, but you
> > have to be careful which one you buy. For example, many can't handle MKV
> > files, or DTS audio.
>
> All too true. I really wish the people making those boxes would get better
> format support. That's one reason I mentioned Popcorn, I know they can play
> MKV and such. Not sure about decoding DTS, but IIRC they support
> passthrough.

Is the Popcorn Hour one of those "Networked Media Tanks"? Myka is closing out their older units for $79, if you buy it
without a HDD it's also described as an "NMT". I have a Myka with a HDD and their software and it can handle MKVs, but not
DTS.

Some of the players can deal with UPnP/DLNA servers, and some can't, like the Kodak HD-Theatre, which requires  its own
proprietary Windows server. It seems to me it would have been simple to include UPnP capability, why they didn't is a good
question. It may have to do with licensing in some way.

If your device looks sexier and costs $5 less, they figure people won't know enough to ask meaningful questions, they will
buy based on price, and appearance.

I think the manufacturers right now just figure that most consumers are not sophisticated enough to know what they want,
and so they ship whatever they can build cheaply. As consumers get more educated perhaps the feature sets will get more
consistent.