[mythtv-users] mythnetvision 0.23 problems

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Jul 8 20:53:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Thomas Börkel <thomas at boerkel.de> wrote:
> HI!
>
> On 08.07.2010 19:06, David Lasker wrote:
>> I don't know about mythnetvision, but I have gotten a very similar
>> mythbrowswer crash on mythbuntu 10.04 with Adobe Flash plugin version 10.1.
>> Downgrading to Flash 10.0.45 fixes the crash.
>>
>> See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1508885
>
> Thanks, this is it! Flash 10.0 is hardmasked on Gentoo, so I tried 9.0
> and with that it works.
>
> BTW, Flash 10.0.x has severe security issues:
>
> CVE-2010-1297 (http://nvd.nist.gov/nvd.cfm?cvename=CVE-2010-1297):
>  Adobe Flash Player before 9.0.277.0 and 10.x before 10.1.53.64, Adobe
>  AIR before 2.0.2.12610, and authplay.dll in Adobe Reader and Acrobat
>  9.x through 9.3.2 allow remote attackers to execute arbitrary code or
>  cause a denial of service (memory corruption) via crafted SWF
>  content, related to the ActionScript Virtual Machine 2 (AVM2)
>  newfunction instruction, as exploited in the wild in June 2010.

I maintain that it is NOT a coincidence that flash rhymes with both
trash and crash. However, I'm quite happy with 10.1's hardware
acceleration support under certain operating systems, which is very
useful for watching espn3.com live streaming of world cup matches...

If only espn3.com's rss feeds weren't such crap, we could actually
access it using mythnetvision (for those w/the appropriate data
service provider, anyway).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com