[mythtv-users] Anyone having problems with gnome-volume-control-applet?

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Fri Jul 9 02:13:17 UTC 2010

Greg wrote:
> On 07/08/2010 06:36 AM, Don Brett wrote:
>> I have a new installation of Mythdora-12, the sound works (mostly),
>> but I can't access the sound control panel.  I select System >
>> Preferences > Sound and I get a message box with "Waiting for sound
>> system to respond", but it never goes any further.  Is anyone else
>> having a problem with this?  The applet seems to be running:
>>
>> [root at nick var]# ps waux | grep gnome-vol
>> mythtv   12849  0.0  0.2 111720  4632 ?        S    Jul06   1:00
>> gnome-volume-control-applet
>> root     25130  0.0  0.0   4224   720 pts/0    S+   21:31   0:00 grep
>> gnome-vol
>> [root at nick var]#
>>

>> Any suggestions?
>>
> Have you removed pulseaudio? When I removed pulsaudio that's what
> happened to me.. I had to install the alsa mixer control and then map
> the vol keys to my keyboard.. Install the alsa mixer and see if that
> works for you..

No, I haven't removed anything.  I saw that recommendation on another
list, but it seemed like a needed library for Mythdora.  Of course, I
don't have any idea what it does for us.  I tried running it from a
prompt (killed the existing one first):

[mythtv at nick ~]$ gnome-volume-control-applet

** (gnome-volume-control-applet:9968): WARNING **: Connection failed,
reconnecting...

** (gnome-volume-control-applet:9968): WARNING **: Connection failed,
reconnecting...

** (gnome-volume-control-applet:9968): WARNING **: Connection failed,
reconnecting...

** (gnome-volume-control-applet:9968): WARNING **: Connection failed,
reconnecting...

** (gnome-volume-control-applet:9968): WARNING **: Connection failed,
reconnecting...

It continues to do this over and over until I stop it.  Alsamixer is
installed and works fine.  I used it to adjust the master volume, and
here's a screen capture of it.  My recordings tend to be kind of low
volume...should the capture level be higher?

http://users.zoominternet.net/~dlbrett/ScreenCapture_118.jpg