[mythtv-users] anyone using a revo 1600 and getting ac3/dts audio from it?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Jul 9 13:32:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 10:53 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> I have a Revo 1600 frontend on 0.23-fixes and while I can get linear PCM
> (stereo) sound from it (over HDMI of course), just fine, when I try to
> enable "5.1" speakers configuration (with DD and DTS checked) in Myth's
> set up and play a file with AC3 (dolby digital) or DTS, I get no sound.
>
> Does anyone have this configuration working?

I guess nobody does.

But I have more information on my particular situation.  I took my Revo
(as well as the B/R player that I could only get 2ch sound through my TV
to my receiver, by optical cable) to my step-son's place last night.  He
has an LG LCD television connected to his receiver with an optical
cable, exactly as I have here.

Everything worked perfectly there.  I was able to get full DD 5.1 from
the B/R player to the TV via HDMI where it was then given to the
receiver on the optical connection for the receiver to decode and
present in full 5.1.

The problem I was having getting 5.1 from the Revo also had similar
success with the LG set.  On my Samsung set, something as simple as:

# mplayer -v -ac hwac3 -ao alsa:device=hdmi movie-with-ac3.avi

was producing no audio at all on either of my Samsung television's
speaker[1] or the receiver (although the TV was indicating that a DD
signal was being received).  The exact same command on my step-son's LG
setup was producing awesome 5.1 sound, decoded by the receiver.

Moral of the story: stay away from Samsung TVs.

I knew I should have bought the LG.  ~sigh~

b.

[1] My television must be able to decode DD/AC3 as it does so for the
digital clearqam signals I get, as well, it has a DLNA client in it and
can play that exact same movie-with-ac3.avi (i.e. from above) through
it's own speakers, as well, it will give the 5.1 to the receiver to
decode.  Summary: this is entirely HDCP crippling.  Bastards.