[mythtv-users] Comcast vs. FIOS, ease of mythtv integration?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Fri Jul 9 17:00:34 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 12:20 -0400, John Drescher wrote:
> >  Fast forward to today and Comcast has consistently worked to reduce
> > the ease of use of their service to the point where I no longer see
> > any advantage to sticking with them.
>
> They seem to work very hard to drive customers away. I guess its a
> fine policy in markets where there is no competition but times are
> changing.. My frustration with them is their channel lineup juggling.

Of course, but we have to keep in mind that those of us who run personal
recording systems such as Myth are a very tiny minority. Their channel
juggling does not affect the vast majority of their customers who are
using set top boxes now.

This doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to tell Comcast how badly they
suck and why we are leaving when we do, but we should understand that
they don't give a damn because it's a simple matter of numbers.

I am of course curious to hear about people's experiences with
alternatives such as satellite and the phone company for TV service used
with Myth. I've got two HD-PVRs and an HDhomerun (one tuner for OTA and
one for what little is left on clear QAM).

Right now there is only one thing that still keeps me with Comcast, and
that is the availability of PEG channels (Public, Education,
Government). My wife has brain damage and likes to watch the local city
council meetings on the government access channel (time shifting and
time stretch are a big win here), and we have been involved off-and-on
with the local public access channel. If those channels were available
via Qwest or DirectTV, I'd drop Comcast in a heartbeat.

--Greg