[mythtv-users] Comcast vs. FIOS, ease of mythtv integration?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Fri Jul 9 18:38:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 14:26 -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Jeff Artz <jeffa.myth at gmail.com> wrote:
> >   I haven't done a port scan or setup any additional services, but the fact
> > that port 80 is no longer blocked is encouraging to me...
>
> I have port 80 open on Comcast now, but they are/were blocking port
> 25, which I had been happily using for years before they cut me off.

I believe you will find that the terms of residential service explicitly
prohibit running servers. At least they do here in Colorado. I
investigated this before and found out that in order to run servers, you
have to sign up for a "business" package that includes 25 static IP's
and costs $300/month. It was cheaper to rent a VPS (virtual private
server) and run my servers there instead of at the house. Turns out that
has other advantages; my provider's network is a lot more reliable than
Comcrap and their servers are more reliable than my
desktop-PC-as-server.

--Greg