[mythtv-users] Comcast vs. FIOS, ease of mythtv integration?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jul 9 21:43:37 UTC 2010

On Friday, July 09, 2010 03:28:22 pm Graham Mitchell wrote:

> Really it should have nothing to do with upstream bandwidth..... I am
> paying for a 12MB/2MB service. The price shouldn't depend on the contents
> of the bits. My all means, limit me to the 12/4 service that I am paying
> for, but what I do with that service should be of no concern of the ISP.
> If they really are worried about the upstream bandwidth, then either they
> should increase it, or they should stop selling a 12Mb service, and only
> sell an 8Mb one (for instance).

If that's a business account for 12/2 then I agree totally. I have never seen a residential agreement that promises
anything as far as outbound, but if you have a contract for 12/2 then I agree you should be able to push anything you want
through it, 24/7 if you want.

A more insidious problem is bandwidth caps that many ISPs are imposing, often without notification and often retroactively.

Of course cable systems are using IP for their on-demand service, and that takes up bandwidth that (hopefully) isn't
counted against you if you use it, but it's only a question of time before they start counting that against you.

I agree the ISPs, cable TV, telco and satellite, are all a bunch of crooks, but I don't see much that can be done about
it. Complaining here is unlikely to help.