[mythtv-users] World of pain migrating to "Storage Groups"

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Fri Jul 9 23:29:01 UTC 2010

G'day,

My MythWeb was simply giving me the response:

     "Mythweb now requires the storage group Videos"

So i delved into the the database and gave it one:

mysql> select * from storagegroup;
+----+------------+----------+--------------------------------+
| id | groupname  | hostname | dirname                        |
+----+------------+----------+--------------------------------+
|  1 | Default    | mediabox | /home/kingsley/MythTV/         |
|  3 | LiveTV     | mediabox | /home/kingsley/MythTV/LiveTV/  |
|  4 | DB Backups | mediabox | /home/kingsley/MythTV_Backups/ |
|  5 | Videos     | mediabox | /home/kingsley/Video           |
+----+------------+----------+--------------------------------+

So after doing this and checking the permissions of every video file, I
now get this:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to
allocate 4096 bytes) in /usr/share/mythtv/mythweb/includes/translate.php
on line 142

I changed the memory limit in php.ini to 256M (from 128M), this didn't
seem to help.  It does look like a ~30M is somehow being used too.

Also now a separate side-effect problem happened:  In the front end
video browser, I have two new "top level" directories "video" and
"Videos".  if the first one is selected it looks exactly the same as the
other, except you can't play anything.  Selecting "Videos" works as per
normal.  I guess "Videos"  is the storage group, but I'm not sure where
"video" came from, and how can it see all the files, yet not play them??!

As far as I can understand, Storage Groups is to allow *Recordings* to
get placed on different drives.  Any suggestions as to why all this
static-file stuff is now in a world of pain ?

The WAF score plummetted with that "video" folder thing where you
couldn't play anything, I can tell you.  I got the whole "Why do you
have to keep tinkering with it" speech  :(   She never uses the MythWeb,
so it being broken wasn't a problem.

anyway ...

any sage advice ?

cheers,