[mythtv-users] What is the default free disk size and the frequency of checking?

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 16:48:49 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>  On 07/10/2010 08:49 AM, Brent Bolin wrote:
>>
>> Think I saw somewhere mythtv wants 1GB
>
> The default value for the setting that allows you to specify the amount of
> free space to keep on all your recording file systems is 1GB.
>
>> Can the default frequency of 15 minutes be changed?
>
> MythTV only checks when about to start recording and while recording (and
> only checks the file system to which it's actually recording).  It checks
> more frequently while recording (every 5 mins?).  Therefore, MythTV will
> never delete recordings when some other app writes garbage to the recording
> file system, so changing the frequency of checking will have no effect
> whatsoever.  Also, MythTV is assuming that no one else is filling up your
> recording file system.
>
> If you explain what you're trying to do or what problem you're seeing,
> someone can likely help you find a good solution.
>
> Mike

Once and while I get zero byte recordings.  Everything I've seen
mentioned about this indicates file systems busy, out of space or a
miss configured tuner.

I've actually never seen the file system out of space.  Sometimes
low(2-3GB) but never full.  This is for a dedicated back end only
running mythtv(.23-fixes on ubuntu 10.04).

I have multiple storage groups.  Zero byte recordings happen in this
storage group(Default).  The busiest.

The file system layout is raid1 /boot using three drives and raid5 for
everything else using three drives over LVM

/dev/mapper/vol00-root on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/md0 on /boot type ext4 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vol00-disk1 on /var/lib/mythtv type ext4 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vol00-disk2 on /disk2 type ext4 (rw)

The other storage groups are on /disk2 file system with symlinks back
to the original locations, videos for example.  Might be better off
using the real directories, but didn't want to mess around with
jamu.conf

Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5]
[raid4] [raid10]
md1 : active raid5 sdc2[2] sdb2[1] sda2[0]
      1953423488 blocks level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [3/3] [UUU]

md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sdc1[2] sda1[0]
      48064 blocks [3/3] [UUU]

I'm not sure it's a file system issue at all. Was curious about the
primary question I asked here(How often is disk space checked).

Zero byte recordings only started when I added an additional tuner.  I
don't think there is anything wrong with any of the tuners.

Right now there are 4 physical tuners and 6 logical tuners
(2) Dvico Fusion dual tuners
(2) pcHD5500 tuners

The other questions/concerns is the number of tuners, virtual tuners
etc... but will bring that up in another thread title.