[mythtv-users] MtrhTv: Uk Mendip Transmitter issues

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Sun Jul 11 10:52:02 UTC 2010

On 04/07/10 22:42, Terry Barnaby wrote:
> On 04/07/10 22:04, malcolm wrote:
>> On 04/07/10 18:29, Terry Barnaby wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have been having quite a problem to get MythTv to work well after
>>> the Multiplex changes on the Mendip transmitter in April.
>>> Apart from issues where neighbouring transmitter multiplexes
>>> that are are found (from info from the Mendip transmitters
>>> info lists) and added to the list, which I have got around,
>>> the main issue is that I don't seem to be able to tune to
>>> channels from the "A" Multiplex.
>>>

>> I live in the Mendip region and also find that I receive additional
>> channels from Wenvoe (in Wales). Using the internal mythtv scan /
>> channel search I do get multiple results from additional Wenvoe muxs.
>> However, I filter these out after allocation of the channel number using
>> Mythweb.
>>
>> Post the commands you used and I'll see what results I get.
> John, Yes I have used the Edit Transports to set up the transports.
> They were all set to Auto on most of the settings, But I have
> been setting them to try and get Multiplex A (Virgin1 etc).
>
> I have two DVB-T tuners, a PCI Twinhan one and a Haupuage NovaT
> USB one. Both appear to have the same issue. These worked before
> April fine.
>
> Mike, Yes the 6th Multiplex is HD, can't obviously use that yet :(
> I have a DVB-S2 card for HD.
>
> I got rid off the extra Wenvoe channels by editing the Transponders
> and doing a scan with the existing Transponders only. This appears
> to have worked fine, all the expected channels are listed. I just
> don't seem to be able to tune into any of the channels on
> the A Multiplex. I have set parameters to Auto and then to those
> listed at: http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=ST564488. Both
> schemes have not worked (plus many other tries).
>
> So I tried with scandvb. For my testing with scandvb I had a
> uk-Mendip file with the following:
> T 794000000 8MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 8k 1/32 NONE # PSB1
> #T 738000000 8MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 8k 1/32 NONE # PSB2
> #T 802167000 8MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 2k 1/32 NONE # A
> #T 754167000 8MHz 3/4 NONE QAM16 2k 1/32 NONE # C
> #T 778167000 8MHz 3/4 NONE QAM16 2k 1/32 NONE # D
>
> When I ran "scandvb -a 0 uk-Mendip" it found the other Multiplex
> frequencies (plus some of the Wenvoe ones) but reported incorrect
> settings for the QCAM and transmission mode parameters for A,C and
> D and could not tune into these to get channels.
>
> If I have the following in my uk-Mendip file
>
> T 802167000 8MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 2k 1/32 NONE # A
>
> The scandvb tunes and finds all the channels in Multiplex A.
> So either there is a bug in scandvb in getting wrong Multiplex
> parameters from the info broadcast from Mendip on PSB1 or the info
> being broadcast is wrong. (dvb-apps-1.1.1-22.fc12.i686)
>

> Are there any debug settings I can set on mythfrontend/mythbackend
> which will print out the exact DVB settings that are being used when
> it attempts to tune into a channel ? I am just wondering if
> [...]
Hi, I am still getting nowhere with this. I am fairly sure it is
a MythTv configuration issue or a MythTv bug. The system is working
generally fine with most channels, however the Virgin1 multiplex from
Mendip just refuses to work. It is unusual in that its mode is QCAM_64
with a 2K transmission mode.

I can tune the channel using tzap fine (dvb channel entry below).
Virgin1:802166670:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_2_3:FEC_1_2:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_2K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE:6785:6786:14304

This reports very low bit errors, from 0 to a few.

When I use "mplayer - < /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0" the station plays fine.

However when I use MythTv I get the info "(LMs) Partial Lock" and no video and
any recordings have no file associated with them.

I have tried configuring the Multiplex manually to all possible values
to no effect. The output of "mythbackend -v channel" is attached.
I am running Fedora12 with MythTv from RpmFusion (MythTv 0.23).

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Terry