[mythtv-users] Many new dvd's not working

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 14:16:42 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 12:06 AM, David Snider <dsnider at thesniderpad.com> wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2010, at 7:54 PM, jedi wrote:
>
>>    mplayer's dumpstream option works pretty good for most disks. I've
>> worked with a large number of disks and had show stopper problems with
>> only a few.
>
> One trick that's worked very well for me is to use the -sb 2048000 option on the dvd... that seems to fix most of the "showstoppers" I've had.  For example,
> $ mplayer dvd://1 -sb 2048000 -dumpstream -dumpfile <filename>

Wouldn't dumpstream just give you raw vob files without any menuing etc?

I used to screw around with dd, dvdbackup, vcd etc etc etc but there
was always occasionally a dvd that just wouldn't play nice.  As I said
earlier I finally got fed up and started using DVDFab HD Decrypter:

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

I'm generally one to *never* use wine for anything, but I started to
for this and it works perfectly, plus you get the full VIDEO_TS with
everything intact.  I run it on my backend form an ssh shell with
X11Forwarding usually, and rip the DVDs right to the backend.  The
only time I ever had a problem ripping with that, went to the DVDFab
site and got the newest version and that worked.  Those guys update
very quickly every time the industry finds a new way to sell you
broken goods.

Tom