[mythtv-users] Many new dvd's not working

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Jul 11 15:08:46 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 10:16:42AM -0400, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 12:06 AM, David Snider <dsnider at thesniderpad.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Jul 10, 2010, at 7:54 PM, jedi wrote:
> >
> >>    mplayer's dumpstream option works pretty good for most disks. I've
> >> worked with a large number of disks and had show stopper problems with
> >> only a few.
> >
> > One trick that's worked very well for me is to use the -sb 2048000 option on the dvd... that seems to fix most of the "showstoppers" I've had.  For example,
> > $ mplayer dvd://1 -sb 2048000 -dumpstream -dumpfile <filename>
>
> Wouldn't dumpstream just give you raw vob files without any menuing etc?

    YUP, and that's a good thing the vast majority of the time.

    It was the menu nonsense on Disney DVDs that got me started taking them
apart rather than leaving them as intact images (which is how I started out
dealing with DVDs).

[deletia]

    Not having the on disk menu is usually much more convenient, especially
for sets.