[mythtv-users] Many new dvd's not working

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jul 11 15:09:42 UTC 2010

On Sunday, July 11, 2010 08:42:33 am Alan Murrell wrote:

> On the other hand, a colleague of mine who is much more knowledgeable
> about multimedia, etc. has always recommended just doing a full disc rip
> to the PVR backend (whether MythTV or something else), as disk space is
> so cheap these days and the movie (complete with menus, feature, etc.)
> would be available from any frontend you have.  Personally, I am not
> sure it is necessary to do *full* disc rips; I am usually just happy
> with the movie itself.

With few exceptions, I generally just want the movie. Most of the "bonus" material is worthless, and the menu just wastes
my time. Some of the menus are difficult to find the "cursor" on (like the smoking cigar on some Groucho Marx disks), causing
me to have to solve a rebus to figure out what's happening.

Ripping the main title to h264 in an MKV container saves a lot of space, due to better compression and no fluff. Granted
disk space is cheap, but it's surprising how fast a 1 TB drive can fill up.

I never want to watch "scenes", but I can see where some people might want to do so.

An exception I can think of is some disks where the initial menu allows you to select the subtitle language. Apollo 13 in
Hebrew was interesting :-)