[mythtv-users] How to best deal with Comcast's "Improved" Lineup?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 15:49:53 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been skimming the threads about Comcast channel lineup changes
> in the past, but now it's my turn, sigh.
>
> I don't have any HD display (unless you count the 17" CRT on my MythTV
> system), so there was no point in being concerned about the HD
> programming I was missing, but now channels I like to watch have been
> removed from the analog lineup and switched to digital-only service --
> e.g. Travel, Versus, AMC, ..., and The Weather Channel??
>
> My current BE setup is MythBuntu 9.04 (yeah, been meaning to update,
> but, ... it wasn't broke, so I didn't "fix" it), a pair of PVR-500s,
> Asus A8N-SLI Premium mobo with socket 929 Athlon 64 3200 single-core
> CPU, 2GB ram, 1.750 GB disk space with about 750 MB used.
>
> FWIW, I have a "spare" system that someday might be a second FE.  It
> has an Asus M2NPV-VM mobo with a dual-core processor, etc. which could
> provide more computing power if necessary.
>
> Given that I probably don't have the horsepower to record HD converted
> via analog hole, and no place to display it anyway, what alternatives
> do I have and what are the tradeoffs?
>
> From what I recall from the threads, I can:
> A) get set-top boxen from Comcast _and_ pay more for them plus the
> upgrade to digital service (beaucoup more!),
> B) maybe get the "missing" channels back by purchasing:
>    1) one or more Hauppauge HVR-2250 cards to add to or replace my
> pair of PVR-500s,
>    2) one or more HDHRs,
>    3) one or more HDPVRs
> C) something else?
>
> TIA for your help.
>
> Craig.

or...

consider dropping Comcast completely for some other company.

I dropped Comcast 3 months ago for DirecTV and really couldn't be
happier with the company so far, although I don't think today that I
would chose exactly the same hardware setup. I got the HD-DVR and one
HD receiver for the bedroom so I'm currently not using Myth at all. If
I'd have known the limitations of their DVR implementation then likely
I would have gotten two HD receivers and just used the analog outputs
into my PVR-250's and stuck with Myth. I would have to have learned to
use the IRBlaster but it would likely have been worth it.

Just my view that in paying Comcast nothing I'm simply happier.

- Mark