[mythtv-users] Many new dvd's not working

Alan Murrell lists at murrell.ca
Sun Jul 11 15:54:21 UTC 2010

This is probably getting a little bit off-topic, but I'll go ahead for
this one reply...

On 07/11/2010 08:09 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> Ripping the main title to h264 in an MKV container saves a lot of space, due to better compression and no fluff. Granted
> disk space is cheap, but it's surprising how fast a 1 TB drive can fill up.

I hadn't actually started ripping my DVDs to hard disk just yet (with a
couple of exceptions); part of the problem was finding tools within
Linux that could deal reliabily with the newer discs to rip them to hard
disk so i could then use something like HandBrake (my preferred tool) to
get them down to what I consider a more reasonable size :-)

I had never seen the mplayer -dumpstream solution before and just did
that on my Sherlock Holmes DVD, and it worked perfectly.  Gave me a 5.8
GB file, but now I can play around with Handbrake to get it down to a
more reasonable size (1GB or less, for me) while trying to keep the best
quality possible.  It even ripped the full audio tracks, which of course
it *would* do.  I am quite happy with that solution.

-Alan