[mythtv-users] Commercial skipping issue

Clay ctmythtv at pacbell.net
Sun Jul 11 22:37:03 UTC 2010

Alan Murrell wrote:
> I run a Mythbuntu system, and I am not sure if this is an issue with
> Mythbuntu or with the MythTV.
>
> A couple months ago, I upgraded my Mythbuntu 9.10 system to 10.04.  I
> did an "in-place' upgrade as opposed to a fresh install.  Prior to the
> upgrade, with only the occasional exception, commercial skipping was
> fairly flawless (I would estimate 90-95% accuracy).  Since the upgrade,
> when I press the "skip" button to skip past the commercials, it skips
> way too far (about half-way into next scene after the commercial break,
> I would guesstimate; I generally have to hit the back button quite a bit)
>
> The upgrade to Mythbuntu 10.04 upgraded MythTV to 0.23, so that is why I
> am not sure if this is an issue with Mythbuntu or MythTV.
>
> As far as I can tell, my commercial skip options did not change.  They
> are currently:
>
>   Commercial Flagging Method: All Available Methods
>   Strict Commercial Detection (not enabled)
>   Default Transcoder: Autodetect
>   Deferral days for Auto-Transcode jobs: 0
>
>   Automatically Skip Commercials: Off
>   Commercial Skip Auto-Rewind Amount: 0
>   Commercial Skip Notify Amount: 0
>   Maximum commercial skip (in seconds): 3600
>   Merge short commercial breaks (in seconds): 0
>   Skip blank frames after commercials (enabled)
>
> I have tried changing the "Commercial Flagging Method" to each of the
> different ones available, but that does not seem to make any difference.
>  I have also tried enabling "Strict Commercial Detection", but that does
> not make any difference either.
>
> Any help you could provide on this would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks! :-)
>
> -Alan

I just upgraded too.
I've noticed an occasional skip way into the next segment but for the
most part skip has been accurate.
Only difference I can see in my setup is I have Method= Blank frame
detection, I skip automatically,  Merge short commercials is something
other than zero but I can't check it since my backend just crashed
again, and I'm not skipping blank frames.

Have you tried it without the skip blank frames?