[mythtv-users] Many new dvd's not working

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 23:28:59 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Charles Wright <cpwright at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Alan Murrell <lists at murrell.ca> wrote:
>> On 07/11/2010 08:09 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
>>>
>>> Ripping the main title to h264 in an MKV container saves a lot of space,
>>> due to better compression and no fluff. Granted
>>> disk space is cheap, but it's surprising how fast a 1 TB drive can fill
>>> up.
>>
>> I hadn't actually started ripping my DVDs to hard disk just yet (with a
>> couple of exceptions); part of the problem was finding tools within Linux
>> that could deal reliabily with the newer discs to rip them to hard disk so i
>> could then use something like HandBrake (my preferred tool) to get them down
>> to what I consider a more reasonable size :-)
> I end up ripping the entire ISO using ddrescue, and then using
> HandBrake to extract the main title (after figuring out what it
> actually is using VLC).  I keep the ISO in case I ever want to
> reencode or the like (I have the DVDs, but my children are not kind to
> the physical disks so ripping it a second time from the media could be
> questionable).  I use the main title for my videos directory, so it
> just plays it without any problems.  Otherwise, the menus can be a
> pain, or just be broken.
>
> Having the videos bomb out, and DVDs flaky definitely hurts the WAF;
> as I would like to use myth for everything.
>
> Charles

Some amazing timing here...after using DVDFab to rip VIDEO_TS
directories and playing them as is, tonight for the first time I had
one that would just drop back out to the menu...never happened to be
before and I've been doing that for a very long time.  It was
obviously because the menuing etc was broken, as I could get around it
by quickly jumping to the main menu or jumping forward to the next
chapter before it had a chance to crap out.

I guess that in spite of the fact that DVDFab can rip things that
other programs can't, that doesn't mean that the corrupted sectors
still won't break playback...unreal.

Seriously...it makes me actual pissed at the fact that I'm honest and
actually pay for DVDs...all to go though a bunch of crap just to play
them in the player of my choice, while those who just steal the stuff
have essentially no problem.

Tom