[mythtv-users] Many new dvd's not working

David Snider dsnider at thesniderpad.com
Mon Jul 12 00:42:39 UTC 2010

On Jul 11, 2010, at 8:16 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:

>> One trick that's worked very well for me is to use the -sb 2048000 option on the dvd... that seems to fix most of the "showstoppers" I've had.  For example,
>> $ mplayer dvd://1 -sb 2048000 -dumpstream -dumpfile <filename>
>
> Wouldn't dumpstream just give you raw vob files without any menuing etc?
>
> I used to screw around with dd, dvdbackup, vcd etc etc etc but there
> was always occasionally a dvd that just wouldn't play nice.  As I said
> earlier I finally got fed up and started using DVDFab HD Decrypter:

dumpstream does give you the raw vob files, but, on the DVD's I've not been able to rip, it's been because the first 2MB of the movie file is plain garbage that MythTV and MPlayer can't get past.  On those DVD's what I see is that mplayer or myth seems to hang, or give read errors.  By skipping the first 2 MB-ish of garbage (with -sb) that was intentionally placed there by the manufacturer, (and regular DVD Players seem to ignore), the video plays just fine.