[mythtv-users] How to best deal with Comcast's "Improved" Lineup?

Scott Smith pickle136 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 12 13:35:29 UTC 2010

________________________________
From: Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com>
To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Mon, July 12, 2010 6:00:06 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] How to best deal with Comcast's "Improved" Lineup?

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been skimming the threads about Comcast channel lineup changes
> in the past, but now it's my turn, sigh.
>
> snip...

To sum up feedback received, it looks like the most reliable way to
get channels other than local origination / OTA broadcast channels is
to rent set-top boxes from the provider, use IR blasters to control
them, and feed their outputs into the video capture device(s) of
choice, either SD ones like the PVR-500s, or the HD-PVR.  It doesn't
appear to matter whether the source is a local cable company or one of
the satellite TV providers, so it's just a matter of who's got the
least expensive package that has the channels desired.

In other words, I'll be shelling out more cash per month to get what I
had now that they've "improved" the lineup.  Sigh.

Thanks for the feedback.

Craig.

Craig,

You should double check with comcast, i just went through the digital change and
they provided a converter kit free of charge. This included either 3 DTA's or 2
DTA'a and 1 STB (can handle OnDemand).