[mythtv-users] getting surround sound to amp when hdmi goes to TV

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Jul 12 15:45:25 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 23:47 -0400, jansenj wrote:
> This is a bit off topic since it has nothing to do with myth.
> Currently I have video going to TV via dvi, and audio to an amp using
> coax spdif.  If I wanted to get audio on my tv as well, what are my
> options and still retain surround sound at the amp?  I have a video
> card that supports hdmi, but I haven't tried to get audio working on
> it yet.

Well, if your TV is a Samsung, then the option of going from your source
to your TV via HDMI and then optical from the TV to the receiver is a no
go.  Samsung cripple the connection from the TV to the receiver.

My step-son's LG TV does not (that is, source->hdmi->tv->spdif->reciever
and every source is able to get it's 5.1 sound to the receiver).  Going
to try to return my Samsung TV and get an LG.  Thanx but no thanx
Samsung.

b.