[mythtv-users] Many new dvd's not working

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jul 12 19:46:11 UTC 2010

On Monday, July 12, 2010 01:24:25 pm ryan patterson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Neil Salstrom <salstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The problem is most people are probably using a newer player that can
> > handle the non DVD conforming disks.
>
> Indeed if they see a problem most people will assume their DVD player
> is too old and buy a new one at walmart for $20.  And they will be
> happy that they solved the problem only paying $20.
>
> Disclaimer: I see nothing wrong with buying a DVD player for $20 at
> walmart.  But the fact that consumers are so happy to spend extra
> money to fix an artificial problem is deeply troubling.

The last I heard the various license fees for a DVD player ran about $26US, so they are taking a loss on that $20 player.
These fees include the MPEG license, as well as the right to put all those little logos on the machine, not only the DVD
video logo, but the CD audio one, perhaps the MP3 logo, and many others.

I recently bought a Blu-Ray player and the front panel is almost completely covered with logos, each of which I'm sure
cost something.

When you buy a DVD drive for your computer you usually get some (Windows) player software, which is what is actually
licensed to play DVDs. If you buy the OEM version you don't get the player software, or the license that goes with it, the
assumption being that the system integrator will provide you with a licensed player of some type, hence the lower price
for the OEM drives (as well as cheaper packaging).

I'm not sure if the studios are subsidizing the players, on the assumption that the buyers will then buy movie disks, or
if Walmart figures that if they get you into the store to buy the $20 player you are likely to buy something else as well.

If the new DVDs are failing to play in a licensed player, no matter how old, then I think a case could be made for
defective merchandise.