[mythtv-users] Many new dvd's not working

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jul 12 21:08:32 UTC 2010

On Monday, July 12, 2010 02:54:41 pm Neil Salstrom wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > If the new DVDs are failing to play in a licensed player, no matter how
> > old, then I think a case could be made for defective merchandise.
>
> I wonder if this is something the EFF would get behind:
>
> http://www.eff.org/work
>
> Just a thought!

And a good one at that.

> At any rate, are there any dev's who could comment on the feasibility
> of giving the mythvideo player loose DVD standards when necessary?

"Loose" in what way? I'm not sure if the problem is a "loose" implementation, or a non-standard non-compliant one.

What we need is some sort of verification suite, as others have pointed out, because unless we can point to the specific
problem it's not likely to get solved.

The main thing is to get a licensed player of some sort that exhibits the "problem", until then we are talking about
trying to do something in violation of the licenses, namely, play a DVD on an unlicensed player, but if we can show a
licensed product is having problems we have a case.

The last thing we would want is to get the developers involved in something that might incur the ire of the DVD makers and
content owners, or point out the fact that Myth users are trying to play DVDs on unlicensed players.

The industry is still behaving as if CSS was a viable "protection" system. Since you can't observe the "problem" unless
you first break CSS, we have a problem, unless we can find a non-CSS DVD that exhibits the problem, which is unlikely.

The first thing I would do is move any work on the "problem" out of a country infected by the DMCA.