[mythtv-users] How to best deal with Comcast's "Improved" Lineup?

Scott Smith pickle136 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 12 21:16:05 UTC 2010

________________________________
From: Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com>
To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Mon, July 12, 2010 5:02:34 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] How to best deal with Comcast's "Improved" Lineup?

>On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Scott Smith <pickle136 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> From: Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com>
>>
>> snip...
>>
>> In other words, I'll be shelling out more cash per month to get what I
>> had now that they've "improved" the lineup.  Sigh.
>>

> Craig,
>
> You should double check with comcast, i just went through the digital change
> and they provided a converter kit free of charge. This included either 3
> DTA's or 2 DTA'a and 1 STB (can handle OnDemand).

Scott,

The extra $$$ is to upgrade my subscription from "basic basic analog"
to the lowest tier digital service that has the channels I want back.
--  about $40/month extra, and yes, the FAQ says I get 1 STB and up to
two DTAs free, but the fourth will cost me around another $2/mo and if
I can't train the family to use MythTV exclusively, I'll need even
more DTAs, but then money can be a powerful motivating factor in
behavior modification ;-).

Craig.

Ah ok, i didnt have the lowest basic (thought that only included  local/overair
channels)
I happen to have have gotten an HD STB, which has ended up costing me  $8/month
(benefit is the firewire capture works).  But my only  alternative is to go sat,
which would require buying HD-PVR'S (and a new  myth system with the power
decode the HD compressed clips).
There really arnt any big providers that are consumer friendly anymore with the
DTA's and the STB's systems.