[mythtv-users] Many new dvd's not working

Neil Salstrom salstrom at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 21:38:55 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> At any rate, are there any dev's who could comment on the feasibility
>> of giving the mythvideo player loose DVD standards when necessary?
>
> "Loose" in what way? I'm not sure if the problem is a "loose" implementation, or a non-standard non-compliant one.

What I meant there was if the issue is due to non-conforming DVD
structures giving the mythvideo player the ability to read / follow
the non-compliant discs.  If what is causing the dump to the frontend
is getting tripped up when following the correct DVD structure "rules"
then let it bend the rules to follow the correct video path on the
disc.

Then again, I'm pretty sure I have no clue what I'm talking about.

> What we need is some sort of verification suite, as others have pointed out, because unless we can point to the specific
> problem it's not likely to get solved.

That is a very good idea and a list could be maintained of broken
titles.  I wish I would have still had an old player laying around
that I could have tried the disc in.

> The main thing is to get a licensed player of some sort that exhibits the "problem", until then we are talking about
> trying to do something in violation of the licenses, namely, play a DVD on an unlicensed player, but if we can show a
> licensed product is having problems we have a case.

What constitutes an unlicensed player?  If a non-OEM computer drive is
sold and listed as reading DVD's would that make a case?