[mythtv-users] Irratic PVR250 ivtv module load - Ubuntu

Mike McMullin mwmcmlln at mnsi.net
Tue Jul 13 10:02:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 02:20 -0400, Andrew C. Stadt wrote:
> On 13/07/2010 2:13 AM, Douglas Peale wrote:

> >> I just spent a bunch of time trying to figure out how to get udev rules to work without success.
> >>

> >> The two symbolic links it is intended to create never show up. I have no idea what I am doing wrong.
> >>
> > I found and fixed at least one error in my file, but I found that the instructions are misleading. Even though the system
> > monitors the directory for changes, rules are only applied when the device is first recognized. the symbolic link "WebCam"
> > showed up when I unplugged and plugged in the web cam.
> >
> > But it is all pointless. The tools that use the web cam won't let you enter a symbolic link. They display a list box of the
> > devices they found, and the symbolic link does not show up. Those same tools are the ones that have problems when the device
> > name changes. They all think that an ATI HDTV Wonder is just as good as a Microsoft LifeCam Cinema to use as a web cam.

> Never thought to try it, but once you can properly address a specific
> device in the udev rules, is it possible to force it to take a specific
> /dev/videoX ?
>
> Borrowing from my other post:
>
> SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux", ATTR{name}=="ivtv? encoder MPG",
> KERNELS=="0000:04:01.0", SYMLINK+="video0"
> SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux", ATTR{name}=="ivtv? encoder MPG",
> KERNELS=="0000:04:02.0", SYMLINK+="video1"
>
> I also found must of the udev documentation to be very misleading and/or
> referring to obsolete revisions.

KERNEL=="video[0-9]*",ATTR{name}=="gspca",DRIVERS=="usb",NAME="video1"
KERNEL=="video[0-9]*",ATTR{name}=="ivtv0 encoder
MPG",DRIVERS=="ivtv",NAME="video4"

  These are actually two lines in
my /etc/udev/rules.d/51-setup-video.rules file. My webcam does keep
coming up as video0 but the pvr-150 is consistent as video4.