[mythtv-users] Using a video capture card, no TV tuner

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 12:22:01 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:35 PM, NublaII Lists <nublaii.lists at gmail.com>wrote:

> This is how I have it set up right now:
>
> 1- new capture card, 'Analog V4L capture card', probed info bt878
> video osprey 100, default input composite 0. video device /dev/video0,
> vbi device /dev/vbi0
>
> 2- new video source, name 'Test', listings grabber=no grabber, channel
> frequency table 'default'
>
> 3- input connections: on composite0, select video source=Test,
>
> 4- channel editor: add new channel, channel name 'ospreytest', channel
> number 555, callsign=ospreytest, video source=Test, video
> format=PAL-BG, don't know if I have to put something on the 'Frequency
> or channel' field, on the third screen of the setup

Try putting "/bin/true" in the channel change script. Also try putting
something in the "frequency or channel" field - that's the value that gets
passed to the channel change script. It shouldn't matter what the value is
but it might matter if there isn't one.

5- back to input connections: starting channel=555. Not sure if I have
> to put something on 'Preset tuner to channel'

No - I think that's used if your external source (e.g. cable box) is
outputting RF and you need to tune to a particular frequency to receive it.

> 6- Back at the frontend channel num 555 appears on the list but it's
> greyed out... can't do anything with it...

I can't see anything obviously wrong. Do the logs reveal anything? Have you
tried using something other than Myth to verify that the hardware is working
ok?

Cheers,
Steve