[mythtv-users] Many new dvd's not working

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 13:46:45 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Monday, July 12, 2010 01:24:25 pm ryan patterson wrote:
>> I see nothing wrong with buying a DVD player for $20 at walmart.
>> But the fact that consumers are so happy to spend extra
>> money to fix an artificial problem is deeply troubling.
>
> The last I heard the various license fees for a DVD player ran about $26US, so they are taking a loss on that $20 player.
> These fees include the MPEG license, as well as the right to put all those little logos on the machine, not only the DVD
> video logo, but the CD audio one, perhaps the MP3 logo, and many others.

The logo fees are flat rate for the manufacturer not per unit sold.
(see question 3 under license: http://www.dvdfllc.co.jp/faq.html ).

In reality the logo license is just a back door forcing manufacturers
to sign a non-disclosure agreement restricting the official
specifications from being redistributed.  Notice that the DVD FLLC
(DVD format/logo licensing corporation) website doesn't have anywhere
to report a non-complying product!

-Ryan