[mythtv-users] Equipment needed for DishTv to Myth

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Jul 13 21:40:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Ajay Sharma <ajayrockrock at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Jim Morton <Jim at morton.hrcoxmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All!
>> I've had a myth setup for a little over a year now. Currently I have 2 HDHRs
>> hooked up to an antenna so I'm only getting OTA local channels. I'm looking
>> real hard at adding the basic DishTv service so I can get TNT and ESPN. With
>> a DishTv STB would I use another HDHR or would I need an HD-PVR? DishTv will
>> supply me up to 3 STBs at no extra charge so I'm thinking I'll have access
>> to 3 new tuners but I'm not sure what needs to sit between the myth backend
>> and the STBs...
>
> You'll need an ir transmitter to change channels since dish doesn't
> have firewire.  And you'll need a HD-PVR for each STB that you want to
> record off of.
>
> I believe the HD-PVR can handle the ir transmitter part but those
> drivers aren't in lirc just yet.  Jarod will correct me if I'm wrong.
> :)

You're mostly correct, except some minor clarification required for
the "just yet" part. :) lirc_zilog won't ever be in the lirc
distribution itself, Christoph objects to it, because of its
legally-murky use of a blob extracted from a Windows driver to load
transmit codes into the driver (plus, the code is somewhat fugly in
places...). And the hdpvr driver needs to be patched to enable its IR
part. But once you do that, and grab lirc_zilog from somewhere like my
lirc git tree, yup, it all works[*]. There are reports of instability
w/the IR part enabled, but I've also heard from quite a few people who
haven't had any stability issues at all recently (might have been a
firmware fix?). Will be poking my own hdpvr again RSN...

[*] these should both already be in the latest Fedora 12 and 13
kernels, including recent fixage to properly bind lirc_zilog to the
hdpvr, courtesy of Gavin pointing out my stupidity to me.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com