[mythtv-users] Backend consolidation, continued...

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Jul 14 00:25:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:51:24AM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Clay <ctmythtv at pacbell.net> wrote:
> > Mike McMullin wrote:

> >>  Just a suggestion but have you tried to installing it?
> >>

> > I'm sure that would resolve it. I've found a couple commands missing and
> > installed them. Probably others missing I haven't tried yet.
> > I don't think chasing all the things missing from the install is the correct
> > (easy) way to debug backend troubles.
> >
> > The long version:
> > I originally installed from the alternate CD. Everything was fine but I saw
> > the drive I chose to do the install on had 3 years uptime on it.
> > I put a fresh drive in and the install failed. (I've since concluded the CD
> > was good once, since it installed, but it failed on other machines after
> > that.)
> > Anyway, I installed the kernel from the CD then installed everything else
> > from the repos.
> > Evidently, lots of stuff got left uninstalled...
> >

> try running dpkg --get-selections >package-list on a live cd. The file
> package-list should contain a list of installed packages.

   It's so easy installing stuff in Debian or Ubuntu that it really doesn't
make much sense getting upset about your particular pet tool not being
installed by default. As long as it is still "supported" and they are
building and including it, then it's a trivial thing to add later.

   apt-get build-dep is a thing of beauty and well worth a few quirks.