[mythtv-users] Backend consolidation, continued...

Clay ctmythtv at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 14 04:15:32 UTC 2010

David Brieck Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Ozzy Lash <ozzy.lash at gmail.com> wrote:

>> is:

>>> $ lshw
>>> $ sudo lshw
>>> $ apropos lshw
>>> $ apropos ls
>>>
>>> command not found, or some such.
>>>
>>> I'm sure it's just another byproduct of doing a net install after the CD
>>> install failed.
>>>
>>> Time to throw in the towel, flatline it, and install again... Much as I
>> hate
>>> to fix it the 'Windows way', chasing the little niggles and who knows
>> what
>>> else, makes it tough to debug a flaky backend.
>>> Maybe it will fix the DMA issue with the pvr-150's too, but I doubt it.
>>>
>> Most of my systems are debian, and I hadn't heard of lshw until I saw
>> it mentioned here.  I had used lsusb, lspci, ... to get similar
>> information.  I logged into one of my systems, and tried lshw, and it
>> wasn't found, but just did a "sudo apt-get install lshw" installed it,
>> and I must say, it looks like a handy tool!  You might try something
>> similar.
>>

> I happen to have done a few CD installs of 10.04 in the past few days and
> they all have lshw. I never new this existed, so thanks!

Good to see something useful came of this thread. Always fun to learn
new commands!
The challenge, for me anyway, is remembering them. *g*

[btw, for anyone still looking in on this thread. I reinstalled the
backend, restored the db, and it appears to be working normally for the
moment. remains to be seen if it's stable. Two hours, practice does make
proficient!]