[mythtv-users] SPDIF surround broken in trunk [SOLVED]

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Jul 14 04:20:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 10:06 +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> If you're using ALSA, and selected a ALSA:blah device, they will be
> shown for sure ...
>
> And 5.1 will only be shown on your device if either AC3 or DTS or both
> are selected

I've been through all the setup -> general screens in Mythfrontend
several times now. There are no checkboxes for AC3 or DTS.

I did get surround to work by trying various different things. The audio
setup screen appears to be very different than it was prior to my update
last weekend, so something has changed in this area.

I get several ALSA devices: default, NULL, IEC958, and several different
ones for the analog outputs. But if I select IEC958 like I used to do, I
only get stereo. I have to select the "surround51" device, then enable
advanced audio configuration and set up a separate digital output
device. That was the only way I could get surround sound out via SPDIF.

So I was too harsh in saying that it is "broken". It would be more
accurate to say that the audio setup screen has completely changed and I
find it very confusing. I doubt that it is really any more confusing
than it used to be, but it is different, and I had figured out how to
set things up under the old setup and had to go through the trial and
error process of getting the settings right all over again. But at least
it works now.

--Greg