[mythtv-users] Equipment needed for DishTv to Myth

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jul 14 12:55:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 7:35 AM, Jim Morton <Jim at morton.hrcoxmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Guys!
>
> I trust I can get some assistance here for enabling the lirc transmitter as
> it is currently beyond my knowledge...

Yep. The steps required for enabling the hdpvr ir transmitter are even
covered in the mythtv wiki.

> A couple more questions. I see the HD-PVR is a USB device. Will 2 (or
> possibly 3) play nice together? Is it possible to attach one to a frontend
> so the backend can still see/use it? In other words - If I have 3 STBs all
> in different rooms from the backend what are the options for connecting STB
> -> PVR and PVR -> Myth without running 25 feet USB and IR transmitter
> cables?

Yes. You simply run a slave backend on the frontend boxes, and the
master backend will happily talk to the slaves to tell them to record
stuff using the hardware hooked to your frontend boxes, sitting next
to the set top boxes..

> And finally, can anyone suggest an IR transmitter? I'd rather buy one that
> is known to work with Linux/Myth. I searched for "ir transmitter" at Newegg
> and came up with a 10 products that don't seem to be what I'll need.

How many transmitters do you need in a centralized location? If just
one or two, a Windows Media Center Ed. usb transceiver is the way to
go. If you need more, there are the Iguana IR and Command IR routes
you can go. You can also get a serial tx device, but I rather dislike
them myself, mostly because of the crusty old driver (and very manual
setup) they require.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com