[mythtv-users] Equipment needed for DishTv to Myth

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Wed Jul 14 13:02:22 UTC 2010

Craig Huff wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 6:35 AM, Jim Morton <Jim at morton.hrcoxmail.com> wrote:
>
>> snip...
>>
>> And finally, can anyone suggest an IR transmitter? I'd rather buy one that
>> is known to work with Linux/Myth. I searched for "ir transmitter" at Newegg
>> and came up with a 10 products that don't seem to be what I'll need.
>>
>> BTW I have Mythbuntu if that matters.
>>

> Jim,
>
> Others can probably give better help if you tell us what version of
> Mythbuntu you have -- 9.04? 9.10? 10.04? etc.  I suspect that you can
> use as many HD-PVRs as you can plug in and have the CPU horses to
> manage the data.

I'm at 9.10 currently but the very first step in all this would be to
upgrade to 10.04. The backend is plenty beefy enough. Since I enabled
VDPAU the cpu doesn't have much to do anymore. :-)

> I'm in a similar boat but not as far along and don't have a use for HD
> (yet) -- just figured out I need to move from analog tuning to digital
> set top boxen (STB) for Comcast -- they finally converted channels I
> care about from analog to digital-only ;-(

HD OTA is awesome. I figure I won't get that quality from a dish but
that's ok. It should still be pretty good.
> >From the MythTV wiki, the LIRC website, and past researches, if the
> HD-PVR solution doesn't work for you, here are several IR Blaster
> alternatives, depending on how many STBs you need to control:
>
> Microsoft makes (made?) a good USB transceiver (send x 2 & receive
> IIRC) that can be had from e-bay and maybe from newegg. (I have one of
> these, but never used the transmit side and need more than one to meet
> my needs ;-(
>
> IguanaIR makes USB units that can control up to 4 STBs
>   see: http://iguanaworks.net/
>   and see possibly helpful recent myth mailing list thread:
>
> CommandIR makes USB and/or PCI slot units.  Current CommandIR II is
> out of production and CommandIR III is not yet finished.  The III will
> support up to 8 independent transmitters (8x STB) and a receiver [for
> listening to your handheld remote(s)]
>   see: http://www.commandir.com
>
> Home Electronics makes a USB transceiver (1 send + 1 receive) and a
> serial port receive-only unit (I have one of the latter)
>   see: http://www.home-electro.com

Thanks for all these leads! These would be *if I can't* make the HD-PVR
IR blaster work, correct?
If *I can* make it work don't I need a transmitter, or does that come
with the HD-PVR?

--
Jim